Are you on a keto lifestyle, and keep falling to the temptation of tortillas? If yes I know every time you take one, the guilt of blowing your carb limits keep haunting you. But worry no more.
In this article, I have included four tortilla recipes that works well for your keto lifestyle. Yes, no more guilt from now on.
The best part is that these tortillas are easy to make at home. Above all, they require readily available ingredients. Making tortillas at home doesn’t get easier than this!
These super pliable and delicious almond flour tortillas are basically all you would want in a tortilla. They are incredibly easy to make with all the ingredients readily available in stores and requiring minimum during preparation.
TIME: 20 MINUTES | SERVING: 8
1½ Cup blanched almond flour
6 tbsp psyllium husk powder
1 tbsp baking powder
1 ½ tbsp salt
4 egg whites
120ml boiling water
1 tbsp oil
1. Add all the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl. Add egg whites then mix until well incorporated.
2. Pour the water over the mixture; a little at a time then use a silicone spatula to mix.
3. Let the dough rest for five minutes once it is well mixed.
4. Divide the dough into eight equal balls. Place a ball between two pieces of parchment paper.
5. Place a heavy frying pan over the ball then press it until the desired size and thickness.
6. Repeat the process with the other seven dough balls
7. Heat oil on your nonstick skillet and place one tortilla on it.
8. Cook on both sides until golden brown. Repeat with all the tortillas stacking them on a plate
Finally, here is the best low carb tortilla ever to satisfy your carb cravings They are grain-free, gluten-free and a great alternative to high carb tortillas. If you own a food processor in your home then making these satisfying and healthy tortillas is a walk in the pack. They make perfect wraps for burritos and sandwiches.
TIME: 17 MINUTES | SERVING: 4
2 Cups part-skim mozzarella cheese (Grated)
¾ almond flour (superfine)
¼ tbsp salt
1. Preheat your oven to 3750 F.
2. Add all the ingredients in a food processor and pulse until the mixture appears mealy.
3. Transfer the mixture to a saucepan then heat over low while constantly stirring. Remove it from the pan and place it on a parchment paper.
4. Knead it to thoroughly mix the ingredients then divide it into four equal portions.
5. Put back three portions to the pan to keep them warm.
6. Form a dough ball with one portion then pat to form a disk-like shape. Place it between parchments papers then use a rolling pin to roll into a circle.7. Place the circle on one half of a lined baking sheet then set aside.
8. Repeat the process with another portion then place the circle on the other half of the baking sheet.
9. Bake the tortillas until the edges start to brown then wait for them to slightly cool. Use a spatula to loosen them from the parchment paper.
10. Serve when warm with a filling of choice.
Are you on a grain-free diet or your stomach doesn't handle grains well but still crave carbs? If yes, why not try tortillas? These cauliflower tortillas are utterly delicious and crush your carb cravings perfectly without adding loads of carbs into your body. The eggs, cheese, and spices bring out these low carb tortillas beautifully. Lastly, eating these tortillas within the first hour of preparing them allows you to enjoy their rich flavour.
TIME: 22 MINUTES | SERVING: 6
16 oz raw cauliflower
6 oz cheddar cheese ( shredded)
½ tbsp salt
¼ tbsp garlic powder
¼ tbsp onion powder
1. Preheat the oven to 400 F.
2. Chop the raw cauliflower then place it in your food processor. Pulse until the cauliflower becomes crumbs.
3. Add other ingredients and pulse until smooth.
4. Use a cookie scoop (3 tbsp size) to equally divide the mixture onto the lined baking sheets. Cover them with wax paper pieces then roll them out into circles. Remove the wax paper.
5. Bake the tortillas until golden brown then wait to cool for three minutes. Peel off the tortillas from parchment paper then serve with toppings of choice.
Let’s face it; tortillas are a staple diet in most of our homes. They are served for low carb tacos, low carb wraps, quick lunch or even dinner. These almond flour tortillas are filling despite their small size and are surprisingly delicious. More good news is that the dough can be prepared ahead of time then cooked later making them super easy.
TIME: 30 MINUTES | SERVING: 4
1 ¼ Cup almond flour
½ tbsp baking powder
½ tbsp xanthan gum
¼ tbsp salt
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp water
1. Whisk the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
2. Beat eggs then add oil and water. Mix until well mixed.
3. Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture then thoroughly mix until dough is formed.
4. Divide the dough into four portions then make dough balls with the four portions.
5. Place the balls between parchment paper then press to make tortilla circles.
6. Heat a nonstick skillet and cook the tortillas until lightly browned on both sides.
7. Stack then between your kitchen towel to keep them warm.
8. Serve your tortillas with toppings of choice.
I am pretty sure; if you tried one of these recipes, you are most probably licking your fingers. You are also brimming with joy and satisfaction. Best of all, you have just taken a delicious tortilla without blowing your carb limits. This to mean, you didn’t break any of your keto lifestyle principles.